September 13, 2011

Mayo-Free Coleslaw



One of my new favorite and EASY sides is Coleslaw.  

I've NEVER been a coleslaw fan...I mean who really likes cabbage?  And, of course, traditional coleslaw recipes contain mayo, which always just made me feel like I was eating a big pile of lettuce with mayo...sick. But this stuff is delightful!  Make a big jar of the dressing earlier in the week because the longer it is allowed to "marry" the better it tastes...and one batch of dressing will be enough for TONS of batches of coleslaw...a little goes a LONG way!

Dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup coconut aminos (I get it at our health food store for around $6 in place of soy sauce)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/8 cup sesame oil 
1 tbsp garlic
1 tsp ginger

Slaw Mix:
shredded cabbage (I get mine from Sam's) 
shredded carrots (my bag of cabbage has carrots in it already but we prefer additional)
green onions, chopped (you can also use red)
sunflower seeds
shredded apple (this is a nice but not necessary addition)

I like to have all the veggies prepped in the fridge ahead of time and you can just throw the rest of the ingredients all together.  Then, dress it all. A little dab will do ya. Very easy, very filling, very nutritious since cabbage is a cruciferous veggie. 

No comments: